Friday, January 20, 2012

Writing, English and other school like sounding things

Alright, think back to your school days. Including elementary school and middle school. Remember the kid that always had a book ready for book reports? The kid that had the required reading in high school done early making everybody else look bad? The kid that constantly had a book in their bag ready to read the moment class got boring?

I was that kid.

When I was fourteen, I started writing. I constantly had story ideas running through my head. During my second semester of college I took a writing class online. The professor had us write a story, we'd post it and each week we would critique three stories.

Ever since that class I've had writer's block. I had no problem writing the stories I would write for that class but some of the critiques I would get from my classmates were horrible. In one story I was told I had too much dialogue. Another kid broke it down and told me why x,y, and z weren't actually plausible. In my second story another person told me my character was stupid and that she's glad everything that happened to the character happened.

I haven't been able to write since. If I did write something, I would hate it. I haven't like anything I've written and I can't bring myself to read other stuff I've already written, to edit it, because I end up hating it and I would trash the whole story idea. Which I don't want to do because I had big plans for it when I started it.

I probably sound crazy.

But I really, really, really, wish I could start writing again. I want to come home when I get off work and just write to my heart's content. But I can't.

I can barely write in my journal these days. I used to be able to tell the stories of my life in a way that would fill up pages with every single detail I could think of so I could remember everything. I could barely write about my wedding.

What is wrong with me? Is it possible that I lost my ability to write?

Has anybody else had this problem? Were you able to fix it?

1 comments:

Crack You Whip said...

You haven't lost your ability, just your confidence (been there). Read a few good books to get your juices going and get it going again. You'll do fine:)
Tracie
crackyouwhip.blogspot.com

Post a Comment