Saturday, January 14, 2012

Kenzie;

Russell and I talked to our apartment complex about transferring to a one bedroom apartment since Kenzie leaves soon and I don't want to deal with the hassle of finding another roommate. I doubt people are going to be lining up to live with newlyweds. 

So we talked to our apartment complex. I expected to get a little check list of what we had to do in order to transfer, a date too far in the future for my comfort to move in, and possibly a wait list. Instead, I put down the money to hold the apartment. I got a check list of what they're going to be looking for when they do the walk through next week and we move on the first. 

It's a bittersweet feeling. I'm excited to move. I've always loved moving. It's a new adventure. A new place to decorate and make your own. Even though I'm only moving two buildings over, I'm looking forward to it. But moving means Kenzie is going to be at basic training and starting her army life. All communication is going to be through letters. Letters that are going to be six pages in length or more because I'm going to have to tell her every single nonsense detail all the way down to the shoes I was wearing the day I was writing. Not that I'm complaining. It's just going to be different. You see, I'm used to just yelling across the hallway to get her attention. I'm used to making her sleep in my room with me when my husband is gone. We have little sleepovers and stay up late and talk about silly things. I'm so unbelievably proud of her for joining the Army. It just makes me sad when I think about how much things are going to change.

Except things aren't really going to change. She's still going to be the sister I never got and the extra daughter my father never wanted. I'm still going to tell her everything and she's still going to be the person I run to when I need somebody.

Our junior year in high school she moved back to New York and it only made our friendship stronger. Basic training ain't got nothin' on us ;)








0 comments:

Post a Comment