Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I think the holidays turn people's brains into mush

I wish I was kidding. The past two days at work I've felt like I've been talking to brand new nurses who have no idea how to call an answering service.

First, they try to interrupt me while I'm in the middle of my "Thank you for calling blah blah my name is Ashleigh and blah blah blah." I seriously say two sentences when I answer the phone. And they're all like "OH HI, right after I say thank you for calling. PFFT. (That one is more of an irritation. Whatever.)

The end of my little spiel I say "Can I have the name of the doctor you are looking to page?" In fact, my bosses changed the entire "script" of what we have to say in order to "direct" the conversation because they thought it would cut call times. You see, before the "script" the nurses would just word vomit information and the agent would be scrambling to keep up. (That never happened to me, obviously ;) but seriously, the "script" has made my calls longer if you ask me.) So we get the script and nurses STILL don't listen. They start with "Oh hi, I'm so and so calling from this one place and yadda yadda." THEN they'll tell me the doctor they want.

I digress. That's another small irritation. I'm clearly missing the point I wanted to make with this post.

So the past two days, when I ask for the name of the nurse, more often than not, they give me the name of the hospital they're calling from.

Ex:

Me: What's your name?
Nurse: Sunrise Hospital.

Oh, did your parents have an odd sense of humor? Maybe they're too busy thinking about whatever they're going to eat for Thanksgiving or thinking about all the Black Friday sales, but still, would it kill them to use their listening skills?

On a different non-work related note, I'm super excited for Thanksgiving. Since I'm still the trophy holder for world's pickiest eater, I'm probably not going to be eating anything. Plus I have to work. But I'm excited because I'm actually going to have a Thanksgiving. The past couple of years, my dad has tried to cook and we've had my brother over but it's never really felt like Thanksgiving. This year, I'm going over to Russell's parent's house before I go to work. And it actually feels like Thanksgiving.

Thanks to TBS, I've finally discovered the wonderfulness that is The Big Bang Theory. I bought the first season on DVD last night. I love it more and more with each episode I watch.

Oh, and I've saved two strands of hair today. I've got my wedding invitations sent out and my wedding website done.

Every thing I can check off my checklist is ensures one less strand of hair being ripped out.



2 comments:

Rusty said...

Better late than never, The Big Bang Theory gets better through the seasons.

Are your calls recorded for training purposes? I'm pretty sure you can forward them on for THEIR training.

Unknown said...

The sad thing is that we've had people from our company go to the hospitals to teach the nurses how to use the system, (because it's all internet based and we try to get nurses to go on themselves to page the doctors) and they tell the nurses the script we use. So they definitely know.

They either don't care or didn't pay attention.

Post a Comment