Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Good deeds

For some reason I just can't get this out of my mind. Actually, I can't get a lot of things out of my mind. But that's irrelevant, sorta.

Anywho, yesterday after Russell picked me from work we stopped at a gas station by the apartment so we could get some soda. I waited in the car while he went inside and while I was waiting a kid around my ageish came up, stood off to the side and asked a couple people if they had 75 cents. Of course, every one he asked either ignored him or said no.

Now, I never carry cash on me. My debit card is my best friend and it's easier to carry around. On top of that, I usually don't give money to people who are asking because, and I hate to say it, usually it's people just looking for money to buy alcohol.

But something was different about this kid. He was asking for a specific amount of money, which is unusual. Usually it's "Can you spare some change?" or "Do you have a couple bucks to spare?" To me, it sounded like he already had some money and just needed that little bit more to help him get food, or get on the bus or something. He also sounded sick. And I just felt bad for him. So I grabbed the two dollars out of  my wallet, go out of the car and handed it to him. He looked surprised and told me "Thank you, I appreciate you so much." And started walking away from the gas station.

I definitely don't think he went to use it to buy alcohol.

It felt good, helping somebody out. :)





1 comments:

WilyGuy said...

Doesn't it hurt that random idiots screw up the world for the rest of us? I am often in the same spot as you, wondering if I should give a little. Unfortunately, I am such a wickedly good cynic that I would probably have second guessed my first impression and thought that like spammers, the pan-handling community had tweaked their routines to circumvent my normal response.

I'm glad that you were able to help and feel good about it. If you want that same feeling, try paying for the people behind you at the drive thru. Another excellent way is to volunteer at a soup kitchen or a women's shelter. Lastly, when I worked in the city more, I would get McDonalds gift certificates and give them out.

Scott
http://itsmynd.blogspot.com

Post a Comment